Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wearing a Snood for the First Time!

Insert fangirl-like squee here and you have my response yesterday when I received my snoods from http://www.littlebellesboutique.com/!! Briefly considered faking a stubbed-toe to leave work early and play with said snoods, but then reality got real (thank you CSI: Miami for that lovely line) and I realized I was no a longer pre-teen and was fully capable of reigning in my excitement to adult-like levels.
So I spent some time youtubing (yes, I totally verbed youtube) hairstyles to wear with the snood. I really liked Lisa Freemont Street's "Snoods on the Job" video (I think she has the best vintage/retro video blogs out there for hairstyles, product reviews, and make-up...definitely check her out if you like any of the things I mentioned) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKMVOP21aU and decided to try that for this mornings work "do". I work in a corporate environment, but not too uptight so I can have a little fun with my looks. Here's a couple screen grabs of the video mentioned above so you can get an idea of what look I was going for.
So I set my hair last night in the those lovely pink rollers, you know the ones, they're the color of pepto bismal and they've been around since the dawn of time, using the curling pattern mentioned in the video. I found out the hard way if I set my hair in rollers right after I wash it my hair won't dry by morning (the animals in my house learned new curse words that day), so now I let my hair air dry for about 15-20 mins before setting it.

The morning rolled around and the alarm clock screamed at me to get up, so I smacked it for it's impertinence then went back to sleep. Then the alarm on my cell phone decided to get in on the action, for which it was rewarded for by being shoved underneath my cat, he's very large so he's able to muffle the sound of phones very well. All this to say...I woke up late this morning. Therefore...ergo...thus...hence...I did not have as much time to play with my snood hairstyle as I would have liked.

I unrolled my very tight bouncy curls. I pinned up the sides and was rewarded with a look very similar to what is shown in the pictures. Brushed and fluffed the curls in the back and slipped on the snood (brown for a conservative work look...if you were curious) and pinned it by my ears and at the crown, which holds very well I might add. And just because lately I can't go a day without a flower in my hair I added an off white one over my ear. I was disappointed to find that the curls on the top of my head turned out very frizzy this morning and pomade was not helping the situation then add on top of that...not a good look for me.
Ohhhh...frustrated sadness and clock of "get your butt to work" ticking away loudly (metaphorically as my clock is digital, though I would love to have an old ticking clock...counting down the hours of my life "mwah ha ha"!). So I quick threw in some very imperfect victory rolls and a rockin' pin curl and had something I could live with for the day. (I'll post a picture at some point today...having problems getting the picture off my phone...grrr, technology. Ha, ha, I kid...I love you technology).

All I can say for anyone else out there who might be playing around with vintage hairstyles...don't get frustrated, especially with the victory roll! Mine are not perfect (I will conquer them someday), but I love they way they look, I love the way I feel...fun and sassy, if you must know, so I don't give a hoot!
Have an amazing day!
Coming soon: another blog by me and my two friends on our vegetarian cooking adventures on Wednesday nights!

5 comments:

  1. Axel as alarm suppression technology! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first commenter! Your prize for that is one free pass to walk away from any stupid person you would like. Yes, he's been buffing up his entire life for that sole purpose! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. but Jen, don't I do that anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that vintage look! I have played a bit with victory rolls myself and found they roll up MUCH easier if wound around something to support them. The gals in the 40's wrapped their hair around "rats", tubes of matted hair or other fiber before pinning with bobbies. I have made rats with fine hair nets and cheap synthetic hair from those big frizzy braids you can buy for a couple of bucks. I have also gone to the beauty supply and bought plastic mesh bun stuffers and cut them. Stuffed victory rolls hold ALL DAY, and go up in a flash.... AND would look SUPER with that snazzy snood!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! My styling has gotten so much better since I first began but I still love those snoods! :D I have bought a few of those chingon forms and they do indeed make great hair fillers though I may have to try them with victory rolls just to see how they look! ;)

      Delete